Southern Style Salmon Patties
1 can Pink Salmon
2 large eggs
1/2 onion, minced
Seasoned bread crumbs ( I like to use Progresso Italian)
1. With fork, crumble salmon into medium sized bowl. Mix in minced onion, eggs, and bread crumbs. I just put enough bread crumbs in until the consistency will allow me to form it into a ball, without sticking to my hands. When making the patties, be sure to pack them tightly so they won't fall apart when turning them.
2. Turn burner on medium heat, and spray skillet with Pam
3. Brown patties to a nice golden color - about 5 - 7 minutes for each side.
These are good with lemon pepper sprinkled on, or a spritz of fresh lemon.
Now for the best part - DESSERT!
You can either purchase a ready made angel food cake, or follow the directions below to make yours fresh at home.
1 box Betty Crocker® white angel food cake mix
1 1/4 cups cold water
2 teaspoons grated orange peel
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
Red food color, if desired
1 1/2 cups whipping (heavy) cream
3 tablespoons granulated or powdered sugar
1 container (15 oz) ricotta cheese
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup sliced strawberries
1. Move oven rack to lowest position (remove other racks). Heat oven to 350°F. In extra-large glass or metal bowl, beat cake mix, water and orange peel with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds; beat on medium speed 1 minute. Pour into ungreased 10-inch angel food (tube) cake pan. (Do not use fluted tube cake pan or 9-inch angel food pan or batter will overflow.)
2. Bake 37 to 47 minutes or until top is dark golden brown and cracks feel very dry and not sticky. Do not underbake. Immediately turn pan upside down onto glass bottle until cake is completely cool, about 2 hours.
3. In chilled medium bowl, beat whipping cream and 3 tablespoons sugar on high speed until soft peaks form. In large bowl, beat ricotta cheese and 1/4 cup powdered sugar on medium speed until fluffy. Fold in whipped cream.
4. Run knife around edges of cake; remove from pan. Cut cake horizontally to make 3 layers. Fill layers with filling. Frost side and top of cake with frosting. Arrange 1/2 cup strawberries over top of cake. Store covered in refrigerator.
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Follow High Altitude cake mix directions for angel food pan, adding orange peel to batter.